London: The successor to Rupert Murdoch's scandal-tainted News of the World tabloid will hit the stands on February 25, News International has announced.
An email from News International to all staff said that Rupert Murdoch, boss of parent company News Corporation, would "be staying in London to oversee the launch" of The Sun on Sunday.
News International shut down its top-selling British tabloid Sunday paper, the News of the World, last year amid the scandal over phone hacking.
80-year-old Murdoch flew in to the UK last week, and told Sun staff that a Sunday edition would be launched "very soon".
The internal memo from News International chief executive Tom Mockridge said: "As you know, News Corporation has made clear its determination to sort out what has gone wrong in the past and we are fundamentally changing how we operate as a business.
"The commitment of News Corporation to invest in a new edition is the strongest possible message of support we could wish for."
"This is our moment. I am sure every one of us will seize the opportunity to pull together and deliver a great new dawn for the Sun this Sunday."
A report on the Sun website quoted editor Dominic Mohan as saying: "This is a truly historic moment in newspaper publishing and I am proud to be part of it."
"Forty-three years ago when Rupert Murdoch first launched a new-look Sun, we promised that YOU, our readers, would be at the heart of all we do," said the paper.
“Now we are answering your clamour for a Sunday edition of the nation's favourite paper.
On a visit to News International's headquarters last Thursday, Murdoch had pledged "unwavering support" for his journalists.
Since last November, 10 current and former Sun senior reporters and executives have been arrested over alleged corrupt payments to public officials.
Anger has been expressed by some Sun staff at the decision of News Corporation's management and standards committee - set up to investigate allegations of wrongdoing - to pass information to the police, the BBC reported.
Last week, Murdoch lifted the suspensions of the arrested workers, but said their detentions had been a "great source of pain", adding: "Illegal activities simply cannot and will not be tolerated."
First Published: Monday, February 20, 2012, 20:03