Great effort needed to overcome EU crisis: Merkel
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel has called for her European partners to show great perseverance over the long haul, predicting the region will need at least another five years to overcome its severe sovereign debt crisis.
"We need a great effort, of five years and more," Merkel said Saturday at a gathering of her Christian Democratic Union party in the northeastern German town of Sternberg.
The chancellor said the euro zone is far from overcoming the crisis and that big structural reforms are needed to restore investor confidence and spur economic growth in Europe.
"There are a lot of investors who don't believe we keep our promises," Merkel said, stressing the importance of EU countries meeting their budget consolidation and debt reduction targets.
"We need austerity to convince the world that it's worth investing in Europe," she said.
Germany has been the strongest proponent of austerity in heavily indebted countries such as Greece and Spain, both of which have unemployment rates of more than 25 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month
- Shocking fact of pay 'hike' in 7th Pay Commission recommendations!
- Full Report of 7th Pay Commission
- Unbelievable! Clean and healthy meals on Indian Railways at just Rs 20
- E-commerce war: Paytm Diwali sale offers 100% cashback on 25 million products