IMF head urges caution to avoid harming recovery
Washington: The head of the International Monetary Fund is warning policymakers to avoid mistakes that could derail a fragile global recovery.
IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde says Congress should promptly increase the US government's borrowing limit and the Federal Reserve should avoid withdrawing its financial support too rapidly.
In a speech at the National Press Club, Lagarde says Europe is turning the corner from recession.
But she adds that the recovery is uneven and some nations are burdened by high debt and credit restraints. She says the European Central Bank could do more to help the recovery by providing targeted lending.
For big emerging economies such as China, Lagarde says financial regulation needs to be strengthened and officials will need to be alert for any threats such as asset bubbles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300