UBS Q3 net profit solid despite trading scandal
Net profit fell to 1.018 billion francs, compared to average analyst forecasts for 276 million francs and steady from the 1.0 billion francs it posted in the second quarter, already hit by falling trading volumes.
It said a 1.765 billion franc gain on the value of its own debt helped make up for the 1.849 billion trading loss and 387 million francs of restructuring costs it booked after announcing 3,500 job cuts in August.
This accounting gain -- which occurs because the bank could profit from buying back its own bonds at lower levels -- also gave a big boost this quarter to profits at most U.S. banks.
However, UBS results also mirrored their U.S. peers in showing declining bond and stock revenues as sovereign debt worries spiralled in the three months to September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month
- Shocking fact of pay 'hike' in 7th Pay Commission recommendations!
- Full Report of 7th Pay Commission
- Unbelievable! Clean and healthy meals on Indian Railways at just Rs 20
- E-commerce war: Paytm Diwali sale offers 100% cashback on 25 million products