US Labour Dept cancels jobs data release due to shutdown
Washington: The US Labour Department on Thursday announced it would not release September labour market data tomorrow because of the political budget impasse which has shut down the government.
The data, which includes an update of the unemployment rate and an estimate of jobs growth during the month, is normally closely watched as an indicator of the strength of the US economy, and often has a significant impact on markets.
The department had said earlier this week it would likely have to put off the release after the stalemate in Congress over the budget for fiscal 2014, which began on October 1, forced a partial shutdown of the government on Tuesday.
"Due to the lapse in funding, the Employment Situation release which provides data on employment during the month of September... Will not be issued as scheduled," the department said.
"An alternative release date has not been scheduled."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month
- Shocking fact of pay 'hike' in 7th Pay Commission recommendations!
- Full Report of 7th Pay Commission
- E-commerce war: Paytm Diwali sale offers 100% cashback on 25 million products
- Unbelievable! Clean and healthy meals on Indian Railways at just Rs 20