2.97 mn professionals employed in IT-ITeS sector in FY13: Govt
New Delhi: The total number of professionals working in India's USD 100 billion IT-Information Technology Enabled Services (IT-ITeS) sector grew by 7 percent to 2.97 million in the last fiscal, Parliament was informed Friday.
The IT-ITeS sector, which contributes about 8 percent to the country's economy, provided employment to 2.77 million professionals in 2011-12 fiscal, Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.
"The Indian IT-ITeS industry has been progressively growing and is able to secure new projects from various foreign countries," Deora informed the House.
For the entire 2012-13 fiscal, 6,40,000 professionals were employed in the domestic market, while, the number of persons working in the foreign markets in the IT-ITeS sector stood at 23,24,000 during the period, he added.
IT-ITeS exports are estimated to have risen by 23.4 percent at about Rs 4.11 lakh crore in 2012-13 fiscal against Rs 3.32 lakh crore in the 2011-12 fiscal.
In Dollar terms, exports are estimated to be up 10.2 percent to about USD 75.8 billion in 2012-13, from about USD 68.8 billion in 2011-12, he added.
The government in the National Policy on Information Technology 2012 envisages to increase IT industry revenues, through exports as well as the domestic market, from USD 100 billion to USD 300 billion by 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month
- Shocking fact of pay 'hike' in 7th Pay Commission recommendations!
- Full Report of 7th Pay Commission
- E-commerce war: Paytm Diwali sale offers 100% cashback on 25 million products
- Unbelievable! Clean and healthy meals on Indian Railways at just Rs 20