2G: CBI relief for Anil Ambani till August 15
Quotes

2G: CBI relief for Anil Ambani till August 15

Last Updated: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:42
 
 Comment 0
 
2G: CBI relief for Anil Ambani till August 15
New Delhi: Hours after the Supreme Court refused to give an urgent hearing on Reliance Telecom Ltd's (RTL) plea against the trial court order summoning Anil Ambani as a prosecution witness, the business tycoon rushed to the Special CBI court which exempted him from personal appearance in the 2G scam case.

Special CBI Judge O P Saini allowed the plea of Ambani, who was summoned for Friday, seeking exemption from personal appearance on the ground that he has pre-scheduled business engagements.

Ambani, who was directed to appear Friday, approached the CBI court after Supreme Court refused to give an urgent hearing on RTL's plea against the trial court order and posted the case for hearing on Monday.

A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi said the matter would be listed on Monday when senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for RTL, pleaded for an early hearing in view of the fact that Ambani has been summoned to appear Friday before the special CBI court.

Ambani submitted before the CBI court that he had received the summon on July 23 and "owing to extremely short notice of just two days", it would not be possible for him to appear before it.

"I wish to state that owing to the extremely short notice of just over two days and my large number of pre-scheduled and pre-committed business engagements, it will not be possible for me to travel to Delhi on July 26, 2013," he said, adding that he would appear before the court any day after August 15.

"I request your honour to kindly grant an adjournment for my appearance and fix a new date at any time after August 15, 2013 at your convenience," Ambani said.

The special court had allowed CBI's plea that the testimony of Anil and Tina Ambani may throw light on alleged investment of over Rs 990 crore by his group companies in Swan Telecom, facing trial in the case along with its promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka.

RTL is an accused in the case. Three top Reliance ADAG executives Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair are also facing trial in the case.

CBI has alleged RTL used Swan Telecom, an ineligible firm, as its front company to get 2G licences and radio waves.

RTL has moved the Supreme Court against the trial court's order as the apex court bench headed by Justice Singhvi had earlier restrained all other courts, including high court, from entertaining any plea arising out of the 2G case.

PTI


First Published: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 13:43


Comments


comments powered by Disqus
Honda Mobilio MPV
Honda Mobilio MPV
BRICS Annual Summit 2014
BRICS Annual Summit 2014
Tata Zest Standout Features: In Pics
Tata Zest Standout Features: In Pics
New car launches in July
New car launches in July
Tata Zest first drive review: In pics
Tata Zest first drive review: In pics

Web Wrap
Contact Us : Privacy Policy : Legal Disclaimer
Copyright © Zee Media Corporation Ltd. All rights reserved