Seoul: The iPhone-maker has requested for a court order to permanently ban Samsung products in the US for violating its patents, seeking additional damages of USD 707 million after the decisive win against its arch rival last month.
Samsung has responded to this latest development by asking for a new trial.
The US jury found that Samsung had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad and awarded Apple USD 1.051 billion in damages.
The verdict -- which came much sooner than expected -- could lead to an outright ban on sales of key Samsung products and will likely solidify Apple's dominance of the exploding mobile computing market.
A number of companies that sell smartphones based on Google's Android operating system may now face further legal challenges from Apple, a company that is already among the largest and most profitable in business history.
Apple's charges that Samsung copied its designs and features are widely viewed as an attack on Google Inc and its Android software, which drives Samsung's devices and has become the most-used mobile software.
The fight began last year when Apple sued Samsung in multiple countries, accusing the South Korean company of slavishly copying the iPhone and iPad. Samsung countersued. Apple had sought more than USD 2.5 billion in damages from Samsung, which has disputed that figure.
However, Samsung Electronics has called the US jury decision in favour of Apple Inc "a loss for the American consumer" because it would stifle innovation and push up prices.
"This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims," Samsung said in a statement after the verdict was read.
The company has also said that it will contest the US court's verdict.
First Published: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 20:11