GoM meet on BSNL, MTNL revival cancelled
New Delhi: The Group of Ministers, to look in to revival strategy for state-run telecom operators BSNL and MTNL, cancelled its meeting on Friday because of some changes in the schedule of Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
"Finance Minister was not available today," a government official said, adding that next date for the meeting is yet to be decided.
Sources at Finance Ministry said that the Finance Minister had to travel to Chennai and hence he was not available for the meeting.
The GoM is headed by Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
It was constituted after Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh raised concerns over the future of the two loss making PSUs.
BSNL losses are expected to be about Rs 8,198 crore, and that of MTNL is likely to be around Rs 3,300 crore for the financial year 2012-13.
Members of the GoM include the Telecom Minister, Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari and Minister of State in the Prime Minister's Office V Narayanasamy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300