Google upgrades Android maps as Apple battle looms
San Francisco: Google is upgrading the maps designed for mobile devices running on its Android software as it braces for new competition from Apple.
The improvements in the latest version of mobile maps for Android center on listings for public transportation options in nearly 500 cities around the world.
The update released today includes directions and departure times for more than 1 million stations worldwide for the first time.
New technology on the maps will allow users to focus exclusively on directions for specific transportation options, such as the subway, while excluding other alternatives such as the bus.
The changes come as Apple Inc. Prepares to replace Google's maps as the automatic navigation service on the iPhone and iPad. Apple is casting aside Google for its own mobile mapping service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300