No penalty so far on telcos for rejecting MNP requests: Govt
New Delhi: Telecom regulator Trai has so far not imposed any penalty on operators for rejecting requests by subscribers under MNP, despite it being found in several cases that service providers did not follow procedures, Parliament was informed Friday.
In September, Trai issued Telecommunications Mobile Number Portability (Fourth Amendment) regulations, 2012, under which financial dis-incentives can be imposed upon operators for unjustified rejection of porting requests.
"Under these regulations till date no penalty/fine is imposed on any of the service providers by Trai," Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
These regulations were issued on September 19, 2012 and came into force 60 days from the date of publication in the official gazette, he added.
This regulation was issued after the authority received several complaints from subscribers reporting that their porting requests were rejected by the donor operators on various grounds, Deora said.
"On examination, it was noted that rejection of porting requests of the subscribers done by the service providers in several cases were not in accordance with the regulation," the minister added.
Deora said, however, under the Telecommunications Mobile Number Portability regulations, 2009, a service provider acting as the donor operator can reject porting requests on certain grounds.
"Trai has issued directions to service providers to ensure compliance of Mobile Number Portability (MNP) regulations," he added.
According to the information provided by the minister, maximum number of rejections between November 2010-February 25, 2013 were made against Bharti Airtel (37,16,966), Vodafone (27,63,957), Idea/Spice (21,05,882), Tata Teleservices (GSM) (8,74,468), Aircel (8,21,917), Reliance Com (GSM) (8,00,567) among others.
However, the data does not specify number of complaints in which Trai discovered that procedures were not followed.