Woman buys Apple smartphones online, pays $1200 for fruit
Melbourne: A 21-year-old Australian woman who was trying to buy Apple smartphones online was conned into paying USD 1,200 for two edible apples!
The woman, who has not been named, had posted an ad on website Gumtree asking to buy two Apple smartphones.
She was soon contacted by another woman who said she had 'two Apples' for sale.
They met at a McDonald's restaurant where the woman handed over the money for what she thought were two new smartphone boxes. The buyer did not check inside the boxes and on arriving home found they contained real apples.
Senior Constable Jess Hopkin of the Crime Prevention Unit in Upper Mt Gravatt, near Brisbane, warned people to be careful when buying things online, according to 'Herald Sun'.
"If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. It's really just common sense," said Hopkin.
Gumtree spokeswoman Niki Hennessy said the company took the safety and security of its users seriously.
"We are continually improving processes and user education to make Gumtree the safest possible platform for buying and selling," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month
- Shocking fact of pay 'hike' in 7th Pay Commission recommendations!
- Full Report of 7th Pay Commission
- Unbelievable! Clean and healthy meals on Indian Railways at just Rs 20
- E-commerce war: Paytm Diwali sale offers 100% cashback on 25 million products