New Delhi: The controversy over alleged nexus between CBI prosecutor and one of the accused in the 2G scam Tuesday reached Supreme Court with an NGO urging it to direct the agency to register a criminal case.
Referring to purported conversation between prosecutor A K Singh and managing director of Unitech Sanjay Chandra, one of the accused in the 2G scam, to weaken the case against him, the NGO sought the apex court's intervention in the matter.
The NGO, Centre for Public Interest Litigation, on whose plea the apex court had initiated monitoring the scam, submitted that there is a danger of collapse of entire trial against the 2G accused in view of the disturbing development showing nexus between the prosecution and the accused.
The NGO submitted that the apex court should direct CVC to examine the trial record to check how the prosecution case has been compromised and should also appoint a team of public prosecutors as the Supreme Court had earlier appointed senior advocate U U Lalit as Special Public Prosecutor in the 2G scam case.
"Although this Court had appointed Special Public Prosecutor, but unfortunately most of the prosecution of the case had been conducted by the Government-appointed CBI prosecutor A K Singh. It was Singh who had to face a battery of top lawyers appearing for the powerful politicians and corporates. It is precisely because of this reason, that the recent revelations are even more disturbing," the application said.
It said according to media reports, a sting operation was conducted by an undisclosed person who apparently recorded the audio of the face-to-face conversation between Singh and Chandra. The alleged conversation clearly shows a serious nexus between the prosecution and the accused, wherein Singh is discussing the legal strategy to help Chandra.
"In the said conversation he also states that he has also advised another accused Shahid Balwa (promoter of another ineligible company M/s Swan Telecom) 'thousand times'," the petitioner said.