Razing of Worli flats; SC grants 41 days to occupants to vacate
New Delhi: The occupants of illegal floors in seven-high rise buildings of Campa Cola Housing society at Worli in Mumbai were on Tuesday granted 41 days time by the Supreme Court to vacate their flats whose demolition was to begin from October 3.
A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi, which refused to re-consider its earlier order on demolition of flats built beyond the sanctioned six floors, granted the last opportunity to the residents to vacate the premises on the condition that they would not file another plea before any court on the issue.
"Having considered the submissions, we deem it proper to accept the prayers made by senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi (appearing for flats' occupants) and allow the time till November 11, 2013 to vacate the premises.
"This will be subject to the condition that they will not file any case in Maharashtra including the Bombay High Court," the bench said and made clear that the flat owners may move the court against the builder concerned.
Initiating the arguments, Rohatgi raised the issue of sanctioned built up area in the buildings and sought reconsideration.
"We have already upheld the show cause notice (of municipal body). In our opinion, they are not entitled to take up the plea at belated stage," the bench said.
"These people will lose their homes. I know that there is a writing on the wall. Nearly 75 percent occupants have already vacated the premises," Rohatgi said, adding the rest of the occupants be granted four more weeks to vacate the premises.
Attorney General G E Vahanvati said he has no objection to the extension of time if they do not file any other court case on the issue.
Seven high-rise buildings were constructed at Worli's Campa Cola compound between 1981 and 1989. The builders had permission for only six floors. One of the compound buildings, Midtown, has 20 floors and another building, Orchid, has got 17 floors.
The court had on May 2 stayed the demolition of the buildings and granted five months to flat owners to vacate the premises.
It had directed that all amenities including water and electricity supply must be restored by the municipal bodies if it has been disconnected.
The court had earlier on February 27 refused to regularise the floors which were constructed in violation of the sanctioned plan.