As Edappadi K Palaniswami gears up for trust vote, AIADMK asks O Panneerselvam to back off
Palaniswami, who was sworn in as Chief Minister by Governor C Vidyasagar Rao on Thursday, is set to seek a vote of confidence in the State Legislative Assembly on Saturday, however, sensing trouble from the camp led by former chief minister O Panneerselvam, the party has now asked him to back off.
Panneerselvam had yesterday announced protests and processions in each constituency opposing Edappadi K Palaniswami`s appointment as the new Chief Minister, evoking a sharp response from the AIADMK, which asked him to stop his 'futile efforts', as the `truth` has prevailed.
AIADMK spokesperson Vaigai Selvan said that supporters of OPS are now fighting against AIADMK and that it must be stopped at all costs.
"OPS is saying that he will meet people across districts now. He can go wherever he wants, but the truth is on our side and I'm sure that truth will win," he said.
Panneerselvam visited Jayalalithaa`s memorial on Thursday night and spent some time there with his supporters.
He asserted that the people were against the new government. "Until this government is removed, we will not sleep or rest. The people don`t want this government," he said.
Edappadi K. Palaniswamy on Thursday today took the oath as Tamil Nadu`s 29th Chief Minister.
A total of 31 other All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) MLAs were also sworn in.
Earlier, Tamil Nadu Governor C Vidyasagar Rao requested the Chief Minister to seek the vote of confidence in the assembly within 15 days.
The decision to this effect was conveyed to Palaniswamy during his meeting with the Governor at Raj Bhavan earlier along with party presidium chairman KA Sengottaiyan and senior ministers Dindigul C Sreenivasan and P Thangamani.
The Governor heard competing pitches on Wednesday night from within the ruling party of the state over who should be the chief minister after the conviction of AIADMK general secretary VK Sasikala in connection with a 19-year old disproportionate assets case.
With ANI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?