Chennai: Fire service personnel on Thursday were still battling to douse the flames that have engulfed a multi-storied textile showroom - Chennai Silks - here, police said.
The top four floors of the Silks Building collapsed on Thursday morning, owing to sustained intense heat while thick dark smoke continued to billow out of the building.
The Tamil Nadu Police has declared the area as unsafe and cordoned off the busy T. Nagar locality which in turn has affected the business of other organisations for a second day.
More than 150 fire service personnel have been deployed to douse the fire.
There have been no casualties reported.
The fire broke out early Wednesday early morning.
Narrow roads and the absence of easy approach hindered the fire service personnel's efforts to put out the flames early.
The cause of the fire is said to be an electric short circuit.
Officials said the showroom had stocked plastic items and clothes. The building had false ceilings which are easily flammable.
The stock-in-trade in the textile showroom is estimated to be worth several crores.
Joint Director (Fire) Sahul Hamid is also present at the spot. Emergency phone lines 104 and 108 can be used for assistance.
Ambulances have been made available for nearby residents who have respiratory difficulties. As many as seven ambulances are currently at the spot with oxygen services.
Precautionary measures are being taken to douse the flame.
(With Agency inputs)