Vijay Mallya's arrest in London: Key developments you must know
Absconding liquor baron Vijay Mallya, who has been declared a proclaimed offender, was arrested in London by Scotland Yard.
New Delhi: Absconding liquor baron Vijay Mallya, who has been declared a proclaimed offender, was arrested in London by Scotland Yard.
Here are the key developments you must know
- Mallya was taken into custody by Scotland Yard and could be extradited to India soon.
- He appearied in Westminster Magistrates' Court in London.
- He was granted bail within three hours of his arrest
- India had given a formal extradition request for Mallya as per the Extradition Treaty between India and the UK through a note verbale on February 8.
- Last month, setting in motion the process of extradition of Mallya, the British government had certified India's request and sent it to a district judge for further action.
- The extradition process from the UK involves a number of steps including a decision by the judge whether to issue a warrant of arrest.
- In case of a warrant, the person is arrested and brought before the court for preliminary hearing followed by an extradition hearing before a final decision is taken by the secretary of state.
- The wanted person has a right to appeal to the higher courts against any decision all the way up to the supreme court.