New Delhi: With the world celebrating the biggest New Year celebration - Chinese New Year, here are some important points to understand so as to know what exactly this spring festival is all about:
1. Chinese New Year also known as the spring festival is the most famous Chinese festival celebrated at the turn of the traditional lunisolar Chinese calendar. It is impossible not to be caught up in the energy of this festival as one can see themselves squeezed into the crowded temples to pray for good fortune, festive markets, auspicious food and shock red lanterns that adorns the city.With fabulous parade of floats, international and local performers, stunning fireworks show over the harbor, heart pounding actions at the race track, this ancient festival has a unique Hong Kong flavor. The Chinese Zodiac moves in a 12 year cycle. According to Asian Astrology, a person`s year of birth and the animal it represents determines a lot about their personality traits. This year, 2018 is the year of Dog. Anyone born in the year of Dog will be communicate, serious and responsible in workplace.
2. The International Chinese New Year Night Parade is one of Hong Kong`s most anticipated annual events, with fantastic floats and spectacular performances by local and international performers welcoming Chinese New Year with a festive energy that is uniquely Hong Kong. Themed `Best Fortune World Party`, the parade will take place on Chinese New Year day, bringing positive energy to everyone in the audience and a vibrant party to see in the Year of the Dog.
3. During Chinese New Year and other festivals, many Hongkongers would pay a visit to the Lam Tsuen Wishing Trees. People used to write their wishes on joss paper and throw it onto the tree after paying their respects. It`s believed that the wishes will come true if the joss paper doesn`t fall from the tree. Due to their popularity, the trees were at risk of being drowned in paper, so nowadays, wishes are made by tying joss paper to nearby wooden racks or imitation trees .It`s said that the higher that the joss paper lands on the tree, the easier it will be for your wish to come true.
4. It`s believed that circling a peach blossom tree three times clockwise will crank up your charm for the year ahead. If petals end up on you, even better - an ideal spouse is headed your way. If you already have a partner, then circle the peach blossom tree once to make your love stronger! Throughout the Chinese New Year period, some of Hong Kong`s major shopping malls will be decked out in peach blossoms. Pay them a visit for good luck and festive photos! Aside from romantic relationships, peach blossoms are also believed to improve your luck with people, bringing you helpful acquaintances and helping you steer clear of foes.
5. It`s an ideal time to visit the very famous Hong Kong Disneyland, as God of fortune Goofy and playful Pluto will be taking the centre stage, showering their blessings on all the guests for the year of Dog. A Chinese night market for the first time is introduced to immerse guests in the authentic Hong Kong style festivities! If you are with your kids in Hong Kong this time do not miss this chance.