Mumbai: The Parsi community is celebrating Navroze today. The festival marks the first day of the first month in the Iranian calendar.
In the Indian subcontinent, Navroz is celebrated with full enthusiasm and zeal by the Parsi community. Traditional rituals and rites are performed by Zoroastrian Parsis on this special day. According to the Gregorian calendar, it falls in the month of March.
Actors Boman Irani, Sanaya Irani and a number of others celebbrated Navroze.
Boman tweeted: "At 9.45 and 28 seconds #Navroze happened. This is the year of the Dog. Our Navroze table. Signifying the Basics all the way to The Plenty. Salt, sugar, egg, needle and thread, dry fruit, sweets and lamps. (sic)."
At 9.45 and 28 seconds #Navroze happened. This is the year of the Dog.
Our Navroze table. Signifying the Basics all the way to The Plenty.
Salt, sugar, egg, needle and thread, dry fruit, sweets and lamps.
.#Festival #Celebration #Iranian #Parsi #NewYear pic.twitter.com/wnDHBScOBN
— Boman Irani (@bomanirani) 20 March 2018
A fan posted an image of Sanaya's Navroze celebrations.
Check it out here:
— yagmur (@yagmur_tktp) 20 March 2018
Sanaya too shared an image on her Instagram. See it here:
Check out some interesting facts about Nowroze:
* It has been celebrated for over 3,000 years in Western Asia, Central Asia, the Caucasus, the Black Sea Basin and the Balkans.
* Navroz is the day of the vernal equinox i.e. day and night are of approximately equal duration all over the planet.
* It usually occurs on 21 March or the previous or following day (depending on the region).
* Navroz is a combination of two Persian words. No, which means 'new'. And, rouz, which means 'day'.
* This secular holiday is also enjoyed by people of different faiths.
Here's wishing one and all a very Happy Navroze.