300 students taken ill after chemical leakage in Delhi's school; situation under control, says CM Arvind Kejriwal
Over 300 students from a government girls' school in south Delhi were hospitalised after a gas leak from a container nearby was reported this morning.
New Delhi: Over 300 students from a government girls' school in south Delhi were hospitalised after a gas leak from a container nearby was reported this morning.
The students of Rani Jhansi School and Government Girls Senior Secondary School, run by the city administration, from the school were evacuated and rushed to nearby hospitals as they complained of irritation in eyes and breathlessness.
The Delhi government has ordered a magisterial probe into the incident. Police has registered an FIR in the matter under various sections of IPC and the Environment (Protection) Act.
Union Minister JP Nadda has instructed all Centre-run hospitals to be ready to help the victims. A team of doctors from AIIMS has been put on stand-by to cater to any emergency.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia visited the children admitted to one of the hospitals.
"The situation is under control. Doctors have said there is nothing to worry about. I have asked the DM (District Magistrate) to investigate," NDTV quoted Arvind Kejriwal saying.
He said a police complaint has been registered.
Nine teachers were also admitted to the hospital, a ANI report said.
Lt Governor Anil Baijal and Opposition Leader in Delhi Assembly Vijender Gupta visited the victims at ESI Hospital and enquired about their condition.
Hitting out at the Delhi government, Gupta sought a high-level probe into the incident.
Union Minister J P Nadda has instructed all Centre-run hospitals to be ready to help the victims. A team of doctors from AIIMS has been put on stand-by to cater to any emergency.
A senior doctor at Batra hospital, where 55 children in the age group of 10-14 years were admitted, said their condition was stable.
According to the police, a call was received at 7:35 AM about some chemical leakage at customs area of Tughlaqabad depot, which is located near the schools.
The chemical in the container was imported from China and was to be taken to Sonepat in Haryana, it said.
Following the incident, teams of police and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as well as CATS ambulance reached the spot.
"Some chemical leakage at customs area of Tughlaqabad depot has caused eye irritation to the girl students in Rani Jhansi school," DCP(Southeast) Romil Baaniya said.
According to police, 310 students have received treatment in hospitals.
As many as 107 students were admitted in Majithia Hospital and 62 in Batra Hospital.
Some children had mild breathing difficulty, eye irritation and mild headache, the doctor at Batra Hospital said. Two children who had come with complaints of breathing difficulty were admitted in the paediatric ICU.