HC questions Delhi govt over delay in EWS admission process

The Delhi High Court on Monday questioned the state government over the delay in the initiation of the admission process of the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) at nursery level.

HC questions Delhi govt over delay in EWS admission process
Representational image (File photo)

NEW DELHI: The Delhi High Court on Monday questioned the state government over the delay in the initiation of the admission process of the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) at nursery level.

The court further pointed out that the admission process of the general category in nearly 1,700 private schools has begun on December 27.

The last date of submission of the application forms is January 17 while the process will end on March 31, 2018.

The admission process will be conducted to fill 75 percent of the total seats available in the city, the remaining 25 per cent will be reserved for those belonging to the economically weaker section/disadvantaged (EWS/DG) category. Admission to these seats will be conducted by the Delhi government centrally. 

The application forms had been made available on the websites of these schools from December 27. The first list will be released on February 1.

Every year, nearly four times of children apply than the available number of seats which are around 1.25 lakh across the city. The admission is conducted through a point system for which schools set their criteria. After a screening process, the schools issues lists of selected candidates.

The schedule and rules apply to all private schools in the city, including the 298 schools built on government land. Last year, the government had issued separate criteria for them making neighbourhood the sole criteria for admission. The schools moved court against the move, and the matter is currently sub judice.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close