JNU students booked for 'illegally' occupying administrative block
New Delhi: Following complaints from the JNU administration, Delhi Police has lodged an FIR against a group of students who have been occupying the administrative block on campus to seek an appointment with the VC over recent amendments in the varsity's admissions policy.
The students have been sitting at the administrative block, popularly known as the Freedom Square, since last week.
The agitating students want to meet Vice Chancellor Jagadesh Kumar and raise their concerns about the changes in the admissions policy which they claim will lead to a massive seat cut in MPhil and PhD courses.
The administration had earlier this week appealed to the students to call off their agitation as the blockade was restricting routine administrative functioning.
"A complaint was received from JNU administration alleging that the students have blocked the administrative block and are not allowing any work to be done. We have registered a case of wrongful restraint and are investigating the issue," a senior police official said.
While the VC had yesterday claimed that the amended admission rules will not be retrospectively implemented and students currently enrolled will not suffer, the administration has issued a circular to all the departments directing them to "re-calculate" the possible intake of students in MPhil and PhD courses under each faculty member.
"The JNU administration notice continues the flipflop. Complete contradiction of yesterday's statement by the VC. The past batches are back in jeopardy," said Ayesha Kidwai, President of the JNU Teachers Association (JNUTA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!