`12 Years a Slave` star prayed for lighter skin during adolescence
Washington: `12 Years a Slave` star Lupita Nyong`o has said that she used to pray for light coloured skin during her adolescence.
The 31-year-old Kenyan-Mexican actress said that she always wanted a lighter skin because she thought having a dark black skin was a curse.
While receiving an award at a luncheon for Essence, the Nyong`o said that she was mocked for her "night-shaded skin" during her growing years.
She further added that she eventually learned that beauty comes in all shades and hopes to be an inspiration to other young girls who face similar issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of 'Aligarh': Hansal Mehta looks back at film journey
- Ayesha Takia slams haters, says 'I love myself and you should love yourself too'
- Ranveer Singh working round the clock to meet deadlines
- Hrithik Roshan to launch his own workout regime
- Rani Mukerji to make comeback with women centric film 'Hichki'