`Lawrence of Arabia` star Peter O`Toole dies aged 81
London: Irish actor Peter O`Toole, the star of the 1962 Oscar-winning epic "Lawrence of Arabia," has died aged 81, his agent Steve Kenis said Sunday.
"He was one of a kind in the very best sense and a giant in his field," Kenis said.
The hell-raising icon of stage and screen was nominated for eight Oscars before finally being given an honorary award in 2003.
Irish President Michael D Higgins said it was "with great sadness" that he heard of O`Toole`s death.
"Ireland, and the world, has lost one of the giants of film and theatre," he said in a statement.
The son of an Irish bookmaker, O`Toole was born in 1932 and raised in northern England.
After working briefly as a journalist and a radioman for the Royal Navy he went to study at the prestigious Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, in a class that included future stars Albert Finney, Alan Bates and Richard Harris.
After making a name in theatre, his big break arrived in the form of David Lean`s 1962 desert epic "Lawrence of Arabia".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss, Day 45: Kanwaljeet’s ‘racist’ comment irks Priya; inmates celebrate Rochelle’s birthday!
- Michael Caine named Britain's greatest living movie star
- Aamir's contribution towards cinema is immense: Gracy Singh
- Bigg Boss: Keith Sequeira makes a comeback
- 'Dilwale' inspires Shah Rukh Khan, makes him tweet about life!
- India made Aamir Khan’s 'PK' a blockbuster, that's tolerance: BJP MP
- Good news for food lovers in Mumbai: City to celebrate first Family Food Festival
- Dev Diwali, Karthigai Deepam: Know significance and legend
- Spirituality: Chant Dhanvantri Mantra for healing, good health
- Guru Nanak Jayanti: Here’s how it is celebrated