`The Grandmaster` sweeps Asian Film Awards, crew mourn lost stuntman
Macau: Martial arts fantasy "The Grandmaster" dominated the Asian Film Awards on Thursday with seven wins including best movie, as its emotional director mourned the film`s stuntman who was on the missing Malaysian jetliner.
India`s "The Lunchbox" was the only other film to win multiple prizes at the star-studded event at Macau`s City of Dreams casino resort, winning awards for best actor and screenwriter.
"The Grandmaster", inspired by the life of Yip Man -- the mentor of legendary kung fu star Bruce Lee -- scooped awards in most other major categories, including best director for Wong Kar-wai and best actress for Zhang Ziyi.
But despite the big wins a sombre mood hung over the film crew, with Wong using his acceptance speech to ask Malaysia for greater transparency in the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 which went missing on March 8 with 239 people on board.
"One of our martial arts directors unfortunately is one of the victims of MH370, so here I hope the Malaysian government can try their best to address this issue by taking a more transparent attitude... and to let us know the truth," Wong said.
Malaysia has come under scathing criticism for its handling of the search, with relatives of the mostly Chinese passengers on board accusing the government and airline of a cover-up and a botched response.
Ju Kun, 35, was reportedly on his way to Beijing to visit his family.
"Today I am very emotional about (our) crew member and friend. We`ll have to say goodbye to him forever," said Zhang.
"The Grandmaster", a stylised martial arts epic which was in production for more than six years, spans several decades of Chinese history and features lengthy battles between rival kung fu masters.
Wang said making the film was an "adventure".
"It started as a dream, later it became an obsession and finally reality," he said.
But Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai, who plays the eponymous "Grandmaster" lost the best actor award to India`s Irrfan Khan, who played a lead role in "The Lunchbox".
"I am grateful for the moment which give inspiration (to) my director and writer to write this script and to write this story," said Khan.
"The Lunchbox" serves up a bittersweet romance between two strangers in Mumbai brought together by mistaken lunch deliveries.
The Asian Film Awards, organised by the Hong Kong International Film Festival, have been held annually since 2007, aimed at showcasing the region`s movie talent.
Twenty-six films from 13 countries and regions vied for 14 prizes this year.
Here is a list of some of the other top winners:
Best Newcomer: Jiang Shuying (So Young -- China)
Best Supporting Actor: Huang Bo (No Man`s Land -- China)
Best Supporting Actress: Yeo Yann Yann (Ilo Ilo -- Singapore)
Best Screenwriter: Ritesh Batra (The Lunchbox -- India)
Best Cinematographer: Philippe Le Sourd (The Grandmaster -- Hong Kong)
Best Production Designer: William Chang Suk-ping, Alfred Yau Wai-ming (The Grandmaster)
Best Composer: Umebayashi Shigeru, Nathaniel Mechaly (The Grandmaster)
Best Editor: Shin Min-kyung (Cold Eyes -- South Korea)
Best Visual Effects: Jang Sung-Jin (Mr. Go -- Japan)
Best Costume Designer: William Chang Suk-ping (The Grandmaster)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kabir Khan shows 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser to fans
- Confirmed: Rekha exits 'Fitoor', Tabu steps in
- ‘Son of Sardaar’ Ajay Devgn grabs Diwali 2017 slot!
- Lindsay Lohan avoids jail with 125 hours of community service
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- HC seeks ways to restrain songs promoting drugs and alcohol
- Sam Smith dedicates tweets to fans to celebrate debut album's 1st anniversary
- Judge to hold hearing on whether Shakira's copyright accuser lied
- Ricky Kej grateful to everyone who felt his music
- Sidharth Malhotra, Kriti Sanon 'As I Am' music anthem becomes a rage
- 'Obsessed' Dave Grohl dedicates song to Taylor Swift
- Noel Gallagher rejects Oasis reunion rumours
- Bickram Ghosh to open music gurukul in Singapore, London
- `Power-pack performer` Paul McCartney plays 3hr set in London
- Check out: Longer version of Anushka, Priyanka's 'Girls Like To Swing' from 'Dil Dhadakne Do'!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow