21st-century trend sees more men taking wives’ surnames
Melbourne: A possibility of emerging matriarchal system in the society is predictable with men increasingly taking on their wife’s surname after marriage.
Marriage celebrants are conducting more ceremonies for couples turning tradition on its head and taking the bride’s name.
“A husband taking his wife’s name is a very 21st-century idea,” the Daily Telegraph quoted social demographer Bernard Salt as saying.
“It’s very much a Generation Y trait and I think it reflects the changing nature of relationships,” he stated.
Salt said that although this trend was becoming more widely accepted, a man who opts to take his partner’s surname might be criticised by judgmental onlookers.
“People who are forerunners of social change are always remarked upon and sometimes teased and mocked,” he said.
The NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages do not keep statistics on men who take their wife’s surname.
But Sydney marriage celebrant Jan Littlejohn said the trend was catching on saying “I have seen it several times in the last few months”
And Charles Foley, a Queanbeyan celebrant, added: “More and more men in younger generations seem to be less hung up on name matters.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani': Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone and Sanjay Leela Bhansali's big 'champion' win at Filmfare 2016!
- Boyfriend goals: Ranveer Singh ecstatic with Deepika Padukone's 'xXx' rage!-- See pic
- Sunny Deol's 'Ghayal Once Again' rakes in Rs 26.85 cr!
- Akshay-Nimrat's 'Airlift' roars at the Box Office, mints Rs 121.74 cr!
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?
- Mahabharata: Who was the only Kaurava to oppose Draupadi’s vastraharan?
- How 16-year-old Markandeya defied death; lesson we can learn
- Valentine week: Top WhatsApp messages you can send on 'Chocolate Day'!
- Valentine week: Why 'chocolates' not diamonds are a girl's best friend!
- What is the colour of your aura – Your Zodiac sign will tell you