Academy sues Oscar winner`s heirs for auctioning award

PTI| Updated: Jul 02, 2014, 19:27 PM IST

Los Angeles: A Oscar statuette awarded in 1942 is at the center of a new lawsuit against the heirs of late Oscar-winner Joseph Wright and the auction house which allegedly sold his award.

In a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences alleges that Wright`s heirs allowed Briarbrook Auctions to auction the statuette last month for USD 79,200, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The suit says the sale to the unknown buyers violated the Academy`s bylaws, which prohibit its members from selling their Oscars without offering the Academy a right of first refusal to purchase them for USD 10. The suit says this rule also applies to anyone who inherits an Oscar.

Wright`s heirs, the auction house and the Oscars` unknown buyers are named as defendants in the suit.

The Academy is seeking compensatory damages in excess of USD 79,200 as well as punitive damages. It is also demanding the right to buy the Oscar for USD 10.
The Academy is very aggressive in protecting the sanctity of the Oscar and has brought lawsuits in the past against those who attempt to resell them. After 1951, winners have been asked to sign a contract giving the Academy the first right to buy Oscars for USD 10. Sales of Oscars from before that year have been subject to litigation.

Wright, who died in 1985, won the Oscar for colour and art direction on `My Gal Sal`.