Actress Suchitra Sen shifted to ICU
Kolkata: Hospitalised after a respiratory tract infection, legendary actress Suchitra Sen was shifted to the ICU of a private hospital on Sunday night.
"She complained of breathlessness in the evening after which she was taken to the ICU," a source at the super-speciality Belle Vue Clinic told a news agency.
The 82-year-old actress, who lives a secluded life and stays locked up inside her apartment, was admitted to the hospital on December 23 after she had respiratory troubles.
Her granddaughter actress Raima Sen, however, said she is better now.
The clinic has formed a five-member-committee led by cardiologist Dr Subrata Moitra to monitor the health of the actress 24x7.
The board will meet again to take stock of her health.
Sources said Sen also has diabetes which complicated the matter further. She is being administered antibiotics and oxygen, they said.
Beginning her career with Bengali film `Shesh Kothai` in 1952, Sen went on to receive National Award for her performance in the 1955 Hindi film `Devdas` and is the first Indian actress to be awarded at an international film festival - best actress award for `Saat Paake Bandha` at the Moscow film festival in 1963.
But after her 1978 movie `Pronoy Pasha` with Soumitra Chatterjee flopped, she disappeared from the public eye and even allegedly refused the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2005 preferring not to make a public appearance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhur Bhandarkar takes expert advice from Subramanian Swamy for film on emergency? View pics
- In Pics: Remember 'Hip Hip Hurray'? This is what its star-cast looks like now!
- Trailer out! Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' will leave you with goosebumps – Watch now
- 'Comedy Nights' needed a 'Bachao' from Akshay Kumar over racist jokes on Lisa Haydon? Details inside
- Being a mom tops my priority list, says Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- Best of your sex life begins at 40!
- Paris Jackson gets tattoo in honour of father Michael Jackson
- This Shiva Temple in Pakistan dates back to the times of Mahabharata
- Ever heard of banana tea? Watch why it is great for your sleep!
- Hooked to selfies because you think you are attractive – here’s a reality check