Al Pacino turned to alcohol to cope with fame
London: Veteran star Al Pacino started drinking at the start of his career because he felt like he had no support system to help him cope with success and fame.
The 73-year-old actor was devastated when his mother Rose passed away when he was just 22, so when his career took off after he starred in acclaimed Mafia movie `The Godfather` he turned to alcohol to cope because he had no one to look out for him, reported Sun Online
"At a young age people have a support system in their life that enables them to deal with fame. But I did not have that kind of equipment. I started drinking more and more. At first, it was part of the territory - part of the acting culture. There`s a pattern in drinking. It can lead to other things, like a downward spiral. I joined Alcoholics Anonymous for a while," he said.
Pacino regrets that his mother never got to see how successful he has become, especially since she used to remind him acting was "for rich people" when he was growing up.
"By the time I was 11 or 12, the neighbourhood kids started calling me The Actor. I would pretend to sign autographs with the name Sony Scott. If my mother came back now I`d have to sit her down and put a cold towel on her forehead because she would be so shocked at what has happened to me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Commando 2' poster: Vidyut Jammwal is blinded by money
- Jackie Chan, Sonu Sood's 'Kung Fu Yoga' trailer is the most action-packed thing you will WATCH today!
- Zahara Jolie-Pitt's biological mother seeks access to her?
- Really inspired by what Deepika, Priyanka are doing: Dev Patel
- 5 Doordarshan shows from 90s we would like to see make a comeback