Advertisement

American Center organizes exhibition to mark 9/11 attacks’ 10th anniversary

The American Center in New Delhi is organizing an exhibition, “Spirit of New York”, to mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the United States.

New Delhi: The American Center in New Delhi is organizing an exhibition, “Spirit of New York”, to mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the United States.
The exhibition, which was launched on September 9, will conclude today. The center also launched its “Spirit of New York” film festival, which will run throughout this month. A special arrangement was also made for 3-D display of memorable New York buildings, landmarks and parks, each of which has its own story. The exhibition and the film festival is being held to depict the spirit that people showed in response to the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001, which has been marked as a black day in the recent history of the US. “Well today is the tenth anniversary of September 11, so American Center as well as the US mission to India are trying to find a way to commemorate the tenth anniversary of September 11 to incorporate Indians into that commemoration in the memory of September 11, also to celebrate the spirit of what’s happened over the past ten years,” Lydia Barazza, the Assistant Cultural Affair Officer of the American Center. “There is a spirit of New York, the resilience of the people of New York and other Americans and places in America that have been effected by terror,” she added. She further talked about the high spirit of Americans, who have left the dreadful incident behind them and become more united. “America has moved forward, America has moved on. New York as a city has been resilient throughout that. But also that experience has brought us together,” said Barazza Sona Jain, an independent filmmaker who actively participated in the exhibition, interacted with the audience and shared her experience of the tragic event. “I was in New York, I was studying in New York University, doing my masters in film and it was an event that if you live through it, you will never forget. Its ten years from now and the world has become a crazier place and yet I feel like somewhere, 9/11 taught New Yorker’s the importance of compassion,” Jain said. The 9/11 attacks were a series of four coordinated suicide attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C. on September 11, 2001. On that morning, 19 Al-Qaeda terrorists had hijacked four passenger jets, and intentionally crashed two planes into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City; both towers collapsed within two hours. Hijackers crashed the third plane into the Pentagon in Virginia. The fourth jet crashed into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, after passengers attempted to take control before it could reach the hijacker’s intended target in Washington, D.C. Nearly 3,000 died in the attacks. ANI