Amy Winehouse’s ex cleared of rape charge
London: Amy Winehouse’s former boyfriend Reg Traviss walked out free after being cleared of rape – then angrily said that the case should never have gone to court.
Traviss, 35, had always denied the female friend’s allegation that he twice attacked her, as she slept after a night out together.
A jury rejected her story after the defence demolished it.
Traviss’ brother, who was in the public gallery, let out a yell of joy as the verdict was announced, a leading daily has reported.
Film director Traviss, who was dating singer Winehouse when she died last year, later said outside Southwark Crown Court in South London: “I’m just relieved it’s all over. The whole process has been crazy.”
“The person that made that complaint, wasn’t investigated, she wasn’t looked into. I don’t think it should have gone past the police investigation.
“I have no idea why she did it but she did. I feel numb and betrayed,” he said.
The court had heard Traviss and the 27-year-old woman had been friends for five years and agreed to meet up for drinks last December.
They visited three bars before having consensual sex twice at his house.
Traviss told the court the night was so pleasant he thought she might become his girlfriend. But weeks later she told cops lies.
Her version unravelled in the face of Traviss’ testimony and damning CCTV evidence that showed her walking steadily — not, as she claimed, hardly able to stand. He said she lit candles and insisted he joined her in bed after he offered to sleep on the sofa.
During the four-day trial, the court heard the woman also told Traviss of an occasion when she got drunk with another man and then regretted sleeping with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Supreme Court directs actor Rajpal Yadav to undergo 6-day jail term
- The wedding trailer of Divyanka Tripathi-Vivek Dahiya is beautiful in all possible ways- WATCH magic taking over!
- Post her lip-kiss spree with Ranveer Singh in 'Befikre' THIS is what Vaani Kapoor has to say about kissing- READ
- Arjun Rampal cannot get enough of Sidharth Malhotra-Katrina Kaif's 'Kala Chashma'
- Mahesh Babu gears up for next with AR Murugadoss
- The legend of Nataraja form of Lord Shiva is inspiring, meaningful
- Five simple pocket-friendly tips to give your home a ‘natural’ makeover
- Emraan Hashmi's son Ayaan appears in video for tiger cause
- Single Indian women want to write their own marriage vows
- Single Indian women want to write their own wedding vows