Angelina Jolie donates $100,000 to help refugees
London: Actress Angelina Jolie has reportedly made a donation of $100,000 to the United Nations Refugee Agency to help Syrian refugees.
The 37-year-old, who is a special envoy of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), gave the money on World Refugee Day, which was Wednesday.
She released a statement to mark the World Refugee Day, hailing the inspirational strength of those who have been displaced and urged better responses to political conflict, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
"In the past year 4.3 million people have become displaced. There are still 2.7 million refugees from Afghanistan; 12 million people are stateless. And for the fifth consecutive year the number of forcibly displaced people worldwide exceeded 42 million," she said in the statement.
"The international community should rededicate itself to preventing conflict, addressing it when it erupts, and solving it more quickly, for that is the only way to create durable solutions for the refugees whose strength inspires us on this World Refugee Day.
"Every individual refugee matters. Each has their own story. Each has suffered and survived more than I could ever bear. And yet, they rise up to live another day," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sidhu to bring Kapil Sharma and Sunil Grover TOGETHER! Here's what you should know
- Noted Yakshagana artiste Gerukatte Gangaiah Shetty collapses on stage, dies
- Former Miss India Priyadarshini Chatterjee fights for child abuse victim
- Salman Khan feels grounded, all thanks to family and friends!
- Anushka Sharma has found her long-term goal!