Brit police chiefs warn officers not to wear racy underwear
London: Officers in Britain have been warned by their bosses not to wear brightly coloured bras and sexy knickers.
Bosses at West Midlands Police have issued an order telling its cops their smalls must be an "appropriate colour" and "inconspicuous" beneath their uniform.
The strict guidance was issued as part of a revised uniform policy to present a "professional and corporate appearance" to the public.
"There is no new force policy on underwear, but all officers and staff who come into contact with the public are asked to adopt a common sense approach when choosing what underwear is worn when on duty, so they remain smart," the Sun quoted a spokesman for West Midlands Police as saying.
But the order has not been met with favour, with officers in the force accusing their superiors of "nannying" and they also slammed the warning as "outrageous".
"It is ridiculous. They are basically telling us what underwear to wear to work. A couple of sergeants have jokingly been saying there would be spot checks. It is outrageous," an experienced PC said.
Another officer added: "Any chance they could run a piece on tying shoelaces or how to use toilet paper?"
Guidelines also warn officers to wear their protective stab vests at all times when patrolling their beat, which includes Birmingham, Coventry, Solihull and Wolverhampton.
"We are not a scouting organisation made up of young children who need nannying," a sergeant from the force told Police Review magazine.
"As we are all adults, personal pride should drive folks to maintain that professional appearance by shaving before going on duty, having clean boots and tidy uniform," the sergeant added.
Assistant chief constable Sharon Rowe said: "All supervisors, at whatever level they are in the organisation, have a clear mandate to challenge inappropriate dress.
"The adoption of standard, corporate, professional uniform and equipment is crucial to how we are viewed by members of the public," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Pulkit Samrat 'can't wait' to watch 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- History lessons for 'Gour Hari Dastaan' cast
- Shakti Kapoor to play crazy professor in upcoming film
- Playing Kashibai emotionally draining for Priyanka Chopra
- Shraddha Kapoor visits 'Baaghi' set ahead of shoot
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Playwright, actor Sam Shepard arrested on drunken driving charge
- Broadway 2014-2015 season is best ever with $1.36 billion in grosses
- Artist sells other's Instagram photo for $90,000
- Vietnam's 'Ceramic King' has over 100,000 antiques
- Haryana to set up three museums
- Indus Valley script numerical, not language: Historian
- Rajkumar Hirani produces his sister's play
- Ramayana miniatures go on show in Canberra
- Teenagers throws spotlight on social issues through theatre
- Paul Walker's 'Fast and Furious' Supra auctioned off for USD 185K
- No winning or losing in art: Helen Mirren
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark