London: Thousands of women are expected to take to the streets of London next month in their first ‘SlutWalk’ rally to protest against those who blame the victims of sex crimes.
The protest marches take their name from the words of a Canadian police officer who said that women should “avoid dressing as sluts” to make it less likely to be harassed, reports the Telegraph.
The comments sparked a worldwide movement - largely galvanised by Facebook and Twitter - and the first British “SlutWalks” have now been announced for June 4.
The movement was created after a police officer in Toronto visited Osgoode Hall High School three months ago to advise students on staying safe.
He told the 10 students present: “I’ve been told I’m not supposed to say this - however, women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised.”
Since then protest events have taken place in more than 20 US states as well as Argentine, Australia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden and the UK.
SlutWalk organisers say they are protesting against the culture of blame which surrounds the victims of rape and sexual assault which leads to fewer women reporting crimes and low conviction rates.