Cannes 2013: Necklace worth $2.6 million stolen in another theft
Zee Media Bureau
Paris: In yet another shocking news, thieves outwitted 80 security guards in an exclusive French Riviera hotel and made off with a $2.6 million necklace in the second such jewellery heist during the ongoing 66th Cannes Film Festival.
According to reports, the De Grisogono jewellery house said on Thursday that the necklace was stolen after a party for festival attendees at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc on Tuesday night.
It said in a statement the theft occurred “despite the large security measures set in place: over 80 security guards plus police”.
On conditions of anonymity, a police official stated that the "high value" necklace was stolen overnight from the luxurious resort town of Cap d`Antibes, which is down the coast from Cannes.
Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc often plays host to events during the festival, including Tuesday night`s party, which included stars like Sharon Stone and Ornella Mutti.
“It is actually the first time it has happened in our 20-year history,” De Grisogono director Fawaz Gruosi said in the statement.
In a similar incident, daring thieves had fled off with 1 million dollars worth of jewellery last week, which were to be worn by actresses at Cannes.
The jewellery that was stolen is said to have been made by Swiss luxury jeweller Chopard and its pieces had been worn at this year`s Cannes by Cara Delevingne, Cindy Crawford and Julianne Moore.
An international daily had reported that thieves broke into a hotel room being used by a Chopard employee at around 2.30 am and looted an entire safe, which contained bracelets, necklaces, earrings and other precious items.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mechanic Resurrection movie review: Fails to rise
- Want no cookie cutter beauty queen: Lara Dutta
- Sonam Kapoor to campaign against malnutrition
- Taapsee Pannu, Neeraj Pandey reteam on 'Meera'
- 'A Flying Jatt' Box Office collections: Tiger Shroff-Jacqueline Fernandez starrer mints Rs 7.10 cr on opening day!
- Pleasant music helps employees turn in better performances: Study
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health
- Disrupted sleeping habits may cause suicidal thoughts
- 'Online purchase of sexual wellness products more preferred in Tier III cities'
- Janmashtami celebrated with traditional fervour across India