Chinese opera star named Unesco Artist for Peace
Paris: Chinese opera star Zhang Jun has been selected as the Unesco Artist for Peace for his commitment to promoting Chinese Kunqu opera, the Paris-based UN agency has announced.
Unesco Director-General Irina Bokova will name Zhang during an official ceremony at the Unesco headquarters in Paris May 26, Xinhua reported citing a statement from the organisation.
Zhang would be the artist for peace for a period of two years.
Born in Shanghai in 1974, Zhang is a leading promoter of Kunqu, one of the oldest forms of Chinese opera.
Zhang also promotes programmes such as the Hope Project to build schools and improve education in China`s poorest areas.
Kunqu was developed under the Ming dynasty (14th-17th centuries) in Kunshan city in east China and is characterised by the combination of song, recitals and complex choreographic techniques.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shraddha Kapoor breaks the style code in latest Harper's Bazaar cover! – See pic
- Monsoon getaway: Bigg Boss contestant Mandana Karimi rocks in white while holidaying in Goa- See pic
- Monsoon trouble for shoes? Best tips to save your footwear this rainy season
- 'Rustom': The re-invention of Akshay Kumar
- Milkha Singh launches 'Read India' initiative