Common painkillers ‘can raise the risk of strokes, heart attacks’
London: A study has concluded that commonly used painkillers to treat inflammation are more likely to develop an increased risk of irregular heart rhythm (known as atrial fibrillation or flutter) – a condition which causes heart attacks and strokes.
The drugs include non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) as well as new generation anti-inflammatory drugs, known as selective COX-2 inhibitors.
These drugs have already been linked to an increased risk of heart attacks and strokes, but no study has examined whether they increase the risk of atrial fibrillation – a condition that is associated with an increased long-term risk of stroke, heart failure, and death.
So a team of researchers, led by Professor Henrik Toft Sorensen at Aarhus University Hospital in Denmark, used the Danish National Registry of Patients to identify 32,602 patients with a first diagnosis of atrial fibrillation or flutter between 1999 and 2008. Each case was compared with 10 age and sex-matched control patients randomly selected from the Danish population.
The researchers found that use of NSAIDs or COX-2 inhibitors was associated with an increased risk of atrial fibrillation or flutter.
Compared with non-users, the association was strongest for new users, with around 40 pc increased risk for non-selective NSAIDS and around 70 pc increased risk for COX-2 inhibitors.
The risk appeared highest in older people, and patients with chronic kidney disease or rheumatoid arthritis were at particular risk when starting treatment with COX-2 inhibitors.
The authors concluded: "Our study thus adds evidence that atrial fibrillation or flutter need to be added to the cardiovascular risks under consideration when prescribing NSAIDs."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sushant Singh Rajput wants to work with Kangana Ranaut
- Shahid Kapoor gave EPIC reply to all those asking about his 'Padmavati' look!
- Anushka Sharma mesmerised by Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s persona, not just her beauty
- 'Dad's Army' creator Jimmy Perry dies at 93
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil: Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma are filmy 'cutie pies' in NEW SONG!
- Diwali 2016 schedule: Festivals and significance
- Diwali 2016: Wondering what clothes to buy for kids? Check out the dos and don'ts
- Diwali 2016: Here’s how you can stay fit during festive season
- Here's how to get glowing skin this Diwali
- Parents' online posts about children may turn risky: reveals study