Dame Helen Mirren crowned top actress at Olivier Awards
London: Dame Helen Mirren was named the best actress at the Olivier Awards, for her stage role in ` The Audience.`
The play, by Peter Morgan and directed by Stephen Daldry, is based on the Queen`s conversations with her Prime Ministers.
The 67-year-old actress, who won an Oscar in 2007 for the title role in ` The Queen`, beat Billie Piper, Kristin Scott Thomas and Hattie Morahan for the award.
Mirren wore a glamorous black lace dress at the event.
In her acceptance speech, she paid tribute to the Queen who according to her had put in the "most consistent and committed performance of the 20th century and probably the 21st".
Meanwhile, Luke Treadaway won the best actor for his role in the play `The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time.`
Other celebs present at the event held in London`s Covent Garden were TV`s Myleene Klass, `Sex And The City` star Kim Cattrall and former newsreader Selina Scott.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'I am a Tiger. What are you?' asks Jacqueline Fernandez!
- Leisure time! Akshay Kumar lazes around in sunshine before the grand release of 'Housefull 3'! – See pic
- Randeep Hooda-Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's 'Sarbjit' mints Rs 22.09 cr at Box Office!
- 'Banjo' motion poster: Watch the brilliant backdrop flavoured with powerful Indian beats!
- Meet the ladies of 'Housefull3' in a brand new POSTER—See inside
- Are your hands and feet always cold? Know what's the reason!
- Legend behind the famous Baijnath Shiva temple—You will be surprised to know the British connection!
- Humiliation bothers obese air travellers the most!
- Unhappy marriage good for diabetic men: Study
- Men are from Mars and women from Venus, indeed – Here’s a proof