Danny Boyle turns down knighthood for planning London Olympics
London: ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ director Danny Boyle has snubbed a knighthood for planning the remarkable opening ceremony for this year’s Olympics.
The 56-year-old Oscar-winning director has turned down the honour from the Queen so he can remain “a man of the people”.
Boyle earned worldwide praise for the London Games ceremony, and his show included a shock appearance by the Queen with James Bond star Daniel Craig.
But when officials approached him about becoming Sir Danny Boyle, he refused to accept it.
“I’m very proud to be an equal citizen and that’s what the opening ceremony was about,” the Daily Star quoted him as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Men increasingly availing salon services: Survey
- Is Pitra Dosha really a curse of our ancestors? Let's find out
- 'Love hormone' may quieten the ringing ears condition
- Children can make adult-like moral judgement: Study
- Independence, career more important than marriage in life: Reveals study on young singles