Even a single cigarette can be hazardous to young adults
Washington: A new study has revealed that smoking even a single cigarette can impair health for young people.
It is understood that smoking leads to a reduction in levels of fractional exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO), which is a marker for airway inflammation.
However, there is limited knowledge about smoking-induced changes in the production and exchange of nitric oxide (NO) in young adults.
The Greek researchers studied eight women and eight men with a mean age of 23 years and a smoking history of less than eight pack-years,
They found that after smoking a single cigarette, the airway tissue concentration of NO increased by 26 percent, and the FeNO levels decreased by 15.6 percent.
This reduction can lead to a limited flux of NO in the airways of young adults, significantly impairing health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Runway Bridal to return with fourth edition in September
- Mr World 2016 Rohit Khandelwal says it is easier for models to enter Bollywood!
- Sonakshi Sinha does not have aptitude to join politics!- READ
- Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput fulfil grandmother Neelima Azeem's wish!
- Veteran writer Salim Khan hails Bombay HC judgement on Haji Ali