Ex Playmate wins $1.2m over excessive force judgement against NY police
New York: A former Playboy Playmate, who had sued the New York Police Department claiming they manhandled her following an altercation with a cab driver in 2006, has been awarded 1.2 million dollars by a civil jury which ruled in her favour.
The jury gave Stephanie Adams 350,000 dollars more than her lawyer had asked for over the run-in, which was sparked when a cabbie told cops the first openly lesbian Playmate threatened to shoot him - even though she sat in the back of his cab in a skimpy, skin-tight outfit that could barely conceal a cigarette lighter.
“I waited six years for this,” the New York Post quoted Adams as saying.
The astrologer niece of a former New Jersey police commissioner, Adams said she was traumatized by the manhandling by cops and by having guns pointed at her.
The city had contended police followed proper procedure and Adams’ claims of being traumatized by the incident wereoverblown - citing sexy pictures of the former centerfold with guns on her website, Goddessy.com.
A juror who asked not to be identified called the pictures “a smokescreen,” and said that for the panel, the smoking gun was the spine and neck injuries the spirituality writer suffered in the incident.
“No one should be treated that way,” the juror said.
Adams said she was “very gratified” and added that the case wasn’t about the money, “it was about justice”.
Adams testified that the driver started cursing at her and threatening her, so she called 911 for help - and the crazed cabby followed suit, but made up a tale that she had threatened to shoot him.
Five officers were sent to the scene on high alert, and Adams had several guns pointed at her by plainclothes cops.
She testified that they searched her bags and, despite her following their orders not to move and to keep her hands up, one of them shoved her face down in the street, and kept her there with pressure on her neck and her lower back.
He mashed my face, she said.
Sgt John Rajan testified that she had obeyed his order not to move, but didn’t react when he told her to lie on the ground, so he had to make her do so with “a controlled drop to the ground.”
“We didn’t know if she had a firearm,” Rajan said.
However, he seemed to stumble when he was asked by trial lawyer Nina Neumunz why he hadn’t just put her up against a car or a wall to frisk her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Kailash Kher unwell, hospitalised
- I'm very conscious about my odour: Irrfan Khan
- 'Poltergeist' movie review- not petrifying enough
- Not easy to make smaller films after working with stars: Venkat Prabhu
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- Rana Daggubati behind Karan Johar, Rajamouli collaboration
- Akshara Haasan approached for Sandakozhi 2'
- Arijit Singh to sing for 'Guddu Rangeela'
- Trial of sea-plane in Goa today
- Suriya's friendly gesture for actor Rahman
- Akshara Haasan approached for Sandakozhi 2'
- Late actress's brother upset with Kerala ex-minister
- Puri Jagannath to work with Nithiin before Chiranjeevi
- Jyotika's comeback film rakes in over Rs.8 crore
- Small role in Mahesh Babu's film means a lot: Tejaswini
- Karan Johar praises 'Baahubali - The Beginning'
- Not easy to scare audiences anymore: Arulnithi
- First look of Kamal Haasan's 'Thoongaavanam' out on May 25
- Jr. NTR delights fans with the glimpse of his son
- Esha Gupta to undergo workshop for Telugu debut
- Europe beckons Ram Charan
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly