Female characters defined by physical attractiveness: Amber Heard
Los Angeles: Actress Amber Heard thinks that Hollywood too often defines its female characters by their physical attractiveness.
The actress said that she "fought" to get into movies as she had no contacts in the industry.
"You name me movies where the woman`s part isn`t narrower than the man`s and they will be the exceptions - not the norm. I think in Europe things are better, but, in the US, we still have characters who are defined by physical attractiveness.
"I try to search for roles where the character is not dependent on how she looks, but it is hard because I didn`t know anyone in this industry so I started as an extra and fought," Heard told Company magazine in an interview.
The 27-year-old feels bad that an actress is mostly seen in side roles.
"I`ve had to take on roles that were superficial, girlfriend roles, but I`ve tried to put some power or strength into them.
And I don`t think talent and beauty are mutually exclusive. It`s a shame that someone like Charlize Theron has to put on a bunch of weight and fake teeth to be seen as a talented actress."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- First look of 'Meeruthiya Gangsters' out
- Police file charge sheet against `Peepli-Live` co-director Mahmood Farooqui in rape case
- TV star Pearl V Puri wants to pay tribute to RD Burman
- Watch: John, Anil in `funny wedding` song from` Welcome Back`
- Anurag Kashyap's guidance was very helpful: Zeishan Quadri
- Jason Statham sells Hollywood home for $9.2 million
- Angelina Jolie wants son to take over charity
- 'Godmother' Taylor Swift meets Jaime King's newborn
- 'Narcissist Bill Cosby didn't realise I was gay,' slams original accuser
- Cara Delevigne, Piers Morgan slam dentist for killing famous South African lion