George Harrison’s widow turns down petition for late guitarist’s statue
London: George Harrison’s widow Olivia has rejected calls for a statue of her husband in the town he called home, it has been revealed.
Olivia had given her blessing for a tribute to honour her husband’s links to Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, but she turned down a petition from 2,000 town residents who had called for a memorial of the ex-Beatles guitarist.
Instead she has pledged her support to a music festival or community project in his name rather than a bronze statue, the Mirror reported.
The 64-year-old still lives in Friar Park, the 120-roomed Victorian mansion she shared with George until his death in 2001 from lung cancer at the age of 58.
She said that after many years of thoughtful consideration, and with great appreciation of the sentiment towards George, they had decided that a more appropriate way of honouring his memory in Henley would be to support a community project, the details of which will be announce in the summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Love is a magical addiction: Ranbir Kapoor
- Trailer OUT! John Abraham-Sonakshi Sinha starrer 'Force 2' celebrates the real heroes of India!
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni biopic not banned, says Pakistan's CBFC chief
- Bollywood celebrities add weight to skin colour debate
- Leonardo DiCaprio planning 'secret wedding' with Nina Agdal
- Zee Entertainment announces foray into radio
- Relax! Humans need more rest for better well-being
- Amul's 'Fawad Thinking' ad on MNS ban is what you MUST SEE this morning!
- Navratri Special: Send Goddess Durga's blessings to your loved ones with these TOP 10 WhatsApp messages!
- Navratri 2016 calendar: Worship goddess Durga and her nine avatars on each day