Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama`s discourse
Patna: Hollywood star Richard Gere is attending a religious discourse on Buddhism by Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama at the 10-day Kalachakra puja in Bihar`s Bodh Gaya, officials said Monday.
An official at a Tibetan monastery said Gere arrived in Bodh Gaya Sunday.
The Dalai Lama Sunday opened the Kalachakra puja, being held for world peace, at Buddhist holy site Bodh Gaya, about 110 km from here.
"Gere was impressed by the spiritual environment when he attended the first day of Kalachakra puja like any ordinary devotee of Dalai Lama," Lobsang Choedak, media officer of the Kalchakra arrangement committee, told IANS on phone.
"He will be offering prayers, worshipping at the Mahabodhi temple and listening to religious discourses the next few days," Choedak said.
Choedak said Gere met the Dalai Lama and visited a few places, including the 1,500-year-old Mahabodhi temple -- the holiest Buddhist shrine as it was built near the spot where the Buddha attained enlightenment.
Gere, known for his performances in films like "Pretty Woman" and "Runaway Bride", is considered one of the Dalai Lama`s most high-profile followers.
He regularly visits Dharamsala, the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile in Himachal Pradesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss, Day 45: Kanwaljeet’s ‘racist’ comment irks Priya; inmates celebrate Rochelle’s birthday!
- Michael Caine named Britain's greatest living movie star
- Aamir's contribution towards cinema is immense: Gracy Singh
- Bigg Boss: Keith Sequeira makes a comeback
- 'Dilwale' inspires Shah Rukh Khan, makes him tweet about life!
- India made Aamir Khan’s 'PK' a blockbuster, that's tolerance: BJP MP
- Good news for food lovers in Mumbai: City to celebrate first Family Food Festival
- Dev Diwali, Karthigai Deepam: Know significance and legend
- Spirituality: Chant Dhanvantri Mantra for healing, good health
- Guru Nanak Jayanti: Here’s how it is celebrated