G.I. Joe action figures were my family, says Dwayne `The Rock` Johnson
Washington: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson said that joining the cast of the `G.I. Joe` franchise was a little bit like coming home.
The actor told CNN at the movie`s premiere in Los Angeles on Thursday, he was a big fan of the action figures when he was growing up as an only child.
"`G.I. Joe` and `Star Wars` action figures, they were my family. So you can imagine what it was like to get the phone call saying, `Hey, we want you to be a G.I. Joe, we want you to lead the Joes, and then we have this idea to really reignite the franchise`," he said.
That idea involved casting Johnson as the lead of `G.I. Joe: Retaliation`, the follow-up to 2009 movie which starred Channing Tatum.
Jon Chu directed the action flick, which has been described as grittier, and not as keen on the "cartoonish" but fun moments some critics picked up on in the first instalment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pooja Bhatt isn’t amused with Randeep Hooda's tweet on Gurmehar Kaur
- Kader Khan's knee surgery goes wrong, veteran actor rushed to Canada
- Alia and I can say no to Karan Johar for a film: Varun Dhawan
- Rajinikanth's daughter Soundarya's car rams into auto-rickshaw, Dhanush saves her day
- Mahershala Ali to have two roles in 'Alita: Battle Angel'