Gulzar appointed chancellor of Assam University
Mumbai: Lyricist-writer Gulzar has been appointed the new chancellor of Assam University.
The 78-year-old Padma Bhushan awardee`s name features besides `Chancellor` on the University`s official website.
Gulzar`s secretary also confirmed: "Yes, it is true. He will be the new chancellor of the Assam University. We got the information from the university three or four days back."
Established in 1994, the Assam University campus is situated in Dargakona, about 20 km from Silchar.
In his career of over five decades, Gulzar, whose real name is Sampooran Singh Kalra, has penned thought-provoking lyrics for songs like "Raah pe rehte hain", "Do deewaane shehar mein", "Hazaar raahen mud ke dekhi", "Tujhse naraaz nahin zindagi" and "Mera kuchh saamaan".
He also kept up with times, and showcased his versatility by adapting new lingo in new-age songs like "Kajra re", "Beedi" and "Darling". Apart from songs, he has also penned the screenplay, dialogues and story of several movies, as well as directed films like ‘Angoor’, ‘Maachis’ and ‘Hu Tu Tu’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anushka Sharma says marriage is on cards!
- PIA plane crashes near Abbottabad; singer Junaid Jamshed feared dead
- Hrithik Roshan's new song 'Kaabil Hoon Main' is soft and soothing!
- Mahira Khan will promote 'Raees' only if it is necessary, says producer
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Katrina Kaif in one frame is a sight to behold!