Gulzar appointed chancellor of Assam University
Mumbai: Lyricist-writer Gulzar has been appointed the new chancellor of Assam University.
The 78-year-old Padma Bhushan awardee`s name features besides `Chancellor` on the University`s official website.
Gulzar`s secretary also confirmed: "Yes, it is true. He will be the new chancellor of the Assam University. We got the information from the university three or four days back."
Established in 1994, the Assam University campus is situated in Dargakona, about 20 km from Silchar.
In his career of over five decades, Gulzar, whose real name is Sampooran Singh Kalra, has penned thought-provoking lyrics for songs like "Raah pe rehte hain", "Do deewaane shehar mein", "Hazaar raahen mud ke dekhi", "Tujhse naraaz nahin zindagi" and "Mera kuchh saamaan".
He also kept up with times, and showcased his versatility by adapting new lingo in new-age songs like "Kajra re", "Beedi" and "Darling". Apart from songs, he has also penned the screenplay, dialogues and story of several movies, as well as directed films like ‘Angoor’, ‘Maachis’ and ‘Hu Tu Tu’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sidharth Malhotra is spilling hotness all over this summer! - Pic inside
- 'Ok Jaanu' stars Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor take party spirit up a notch! - View pictures
- Riteish Deshmukh fulfills Madhuri Dixit's wish on TV show
- Don't know what item songs mean: Zareen Khan
- Vidya Balan would love to be directed by brother-in-law