Hindu leaders urge Selena Gomez to apologise for the bindi error
Washington: Officials at the Universal Society of Hinduism have demanded an apology from Selena Gomez after she performed at the MTV Movie Awards with a religious bindi symbol on her forehead.
The Hindu leaders have branded the pop star`s appearance during her `Come `n` Get It` song "insensitive" and have urged her not to repeat it as she plans for an upcoming world tour, Contactmusic reported.
Hindu statesman, Rajan Zed, said that the bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance.
Zed said that it is also sometimes referred to as the third eye and the flame, and it is an auspicious religious and spiritual symbol, which is not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed.
He added that Gomez should apologise and then she should get acquainted with the basics of world religions.
The 20-year-old singer has also come under fire for her alleged culturally insensitive performance at the awards ceremony on Sunday, from her Twitter followers.
In a post, one fan wrote: "Deal (sic) Selena Gomez the bindi is not just some fashion accessory you can throw on, cultural appropriation man."
Another said: "Selena Gomez, take that bindi of (sic) your head, cultural appropriation is not cute."
A third follower said: "Cultural Appropriation At It`s Finest, My Respect For Selena Is Fading As We Speak."
A fourth viewer tweeted: "@selenagomez Hi, leave Bindis for Indian women."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Confirmed! Kareena Kapoor Khan, Saif Ali Khan to welcome their first baby in December
- It's a wrap for Ranveer Singh-Vaani Kapoor's 'Befikre'! Pic inside
- Bipasha Basu stuns in a dreamy, ethereal avatar! – See pic
- Get ready for Raftaar's rap 'Toh Dishoom' starring John Abraham-Varun Dhawan! - Watch
- Kareena Kapoor Khan wants to reschedule upcoming movie due to pregnancy?
- How many lovers will you have in a lifetime according to your Zodiac sign? – Play game
- Monsoon trouble for shoes? Best tips to save your footwear this rainy season
- Eid special: Redefine your traditional style this festive season
- Drake praises 'beautiful' Rihanna on stage
- Top 10 hair hacks every girl should know! Watch video