Holi 2016: Holika Pujan Vidhi and Narasimha Maha Mantra
Certain rituals are performed as people gather outdoors around a bornfire to offer their prayers to Holika ahead of the festival of colours- Holi.
Mumbai: People across India are gearing up to celebrate the festival of colours – Holi – which marks the triumph of good over the evil on March 24. But a day prior to the colour festival, people collectively gather to do Holika Pujan in the evening to initiate the process of Holi celebrations by offering prayers to the Gods.
Certain rituals are performed as people gather outdoors around a bornfire. This is called Holika Dahan. A puja is performed to seek blessings from the Gods.
Holika Pujan Vidhi
- Take bath, wear fresh clothes.
- Prepare a Puja ki thali which consists of a kalash of water, haldi, kumkum, chandan, rice grains, flowers, coconut, jaggery and gulal.
- Offer these to the bonfire.
- Chant the following Narasimha Maha Mantra -
उग्रं वीरं महा विष्णुम ज्वलन्तम सर्वतो मुखम
नृसिंहं भीषणम भद्रम मृत्युर्मृत्युम नाममि:अहम्
Ugram Veeram Maha Vishnum Jwalantam Sarvato Mukham
Nrisimham Bheeshanam Bhadram Mritoymrityum Namamyaham
- Do parikrama or pradakshina (circumambulation) of the bonfire. Keep puring water from the kalash as you walk around Holika.
- The coconut offered to the Holika is then distributed as Prasad. Have the prasad and give it your friends and family.
- Once the bonfire extinguishes, take home some ash. Apply the ash on your forehead.