JK Rowling opens up about single parenthood
London: JK Rowling has confessed that she was constantly berated for being a single mother on benefits, while she was penning her first Harry Potter novel.
In a revealing piece for Gingerbread , a charity supporting single parents, the best-selling author has written that she`s prouder of her years as a single mother than of any other part of my life, despite the being stigmatised, the Independent reported.
The writer said that she had been defined "in the eyes of many" by something she had "never chosen".
Rowling asserted that the demise of her marriage had left her on benefits and taking odd jobs at a local Edinburgh church.
She insisted that assumptions made about your morals, your motives for bringing your child into the world or your fitness to raise that child cut to the core of who you are.
Rowling, who remarried in 2001, said that despite the "sudden, seismic and wholly unexpected shift" that came with the Harry Potter publishing phenomenon, there was still no escaping the "Single Parent" tag.
She said that it followed her to financial stability and fame just as it had clung to her in poverty and obscurity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Filmaker Trisha Ray directs Mahie Gill in 'Orphan Train'
- Emma Roberts to return for 'Scream Queens 2'
- Oh so sweet! 'Special visitor' Ranveer Singh meets Deepika Padukone in Toronto! - See pic
- Box Office clashes: 'Fitoor', 'Sanam Re', 'Deadpool' – Which one do you think got highest collections?
- Kanye West rants against Taylor Swift over lyric controversy
- Valentine's Day special: Want to woo your loved one? Try these romantic messages
- Spirituality: Steps to cleanse your home of negative energy
- Want better sex? Play the music loud tonight
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Hug Day' in this unique way!