Washington: Whitney Houston’s producer and co-star in her debut movie, ‘The Bodyguard’, has revealed that he had been in talks with Princess Diana to cast her as the lead in ‘Bodyguard 2’.
Kevin Costner, who produced and starred in the original flick that garnered the late Houston critical acclaim, said he was willing to craft a role especially for the Princess of Wales in the follow-up.
The 57-year-old told this to Anderson Cooper in an interview airing on Anderson in May to promote Costner’s History Channel mini-series ‘Hatfields and McCoys’.
“Diana and I had been talking about doing Bodyguard 2… I told her I would take care of her just the same way that I took care of Whitney,” Us magazine quoted him as saying.
“She wanted me to write it for her. I said ‘I’ll tailor it for you if you’re interested.’ She goes, ‘I am interested,” he said.
In a 2003 interview, the actor told ABC that the film’s sequel would feature his character shielding the People’s Princess from paparazzi and stalkers before the duo became involved in a torrid affair.
In an ironic twist, Costner - who delivered the eulogy at Houston’s February funeral - received a draft of the script for ‘Bodyguard 2’ on August 31, 1997 - the day before Diana perished in a Paris car crash at age 36.